Position: Finance Technical Assistant
Reports to: Finance Officer
Supervision of: None
Duty station: Maroua
Project number: CMFM2101, CMFM2006, CMFM2003, CMFM1811
Duration and type of contract: 1 Year
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
1) Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
2) Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
3) Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
4) Ensure proper filing of documents
5) Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Take day to day responsibility of managing petty cash and cash box.
- Take day to day responsibility of managing bank payments.
- Maintain up to date records, project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available and reported.
- Preparation of payment vouchers for cash and cheques and ensure timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
- Assist the finance officer to perform cash and bank reconciliation.
- Ensures daily, weekly, monthly and periodic cash counts are done.
- Assists Finance officer in tracking advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time as per the finance SOP.
- Ensures that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is posted into Unit4.
- Upload all financial documents on the finance filing tree daily and reports on the status of filing weekly to FO/FC.
- Ensures for all transactions above 10000 USD they are scanned and made available to the FC for update of compliance checklist.
- Be the focal point in Maroua office during audit on all documentation needed by auditors.
- Ensure deliverables are reconcile on a monthly basis.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
· Supporting Documents & Bid Openings – Logistics & Procurement Staff
· Remittance of Statutory Deductions – Tax authorities
· Year end Audit – Auditors
· Payment and Enquiries – Vendors
Scale and scope of position
Intranet, Agresso, finance handbook, Donor/NRC policies and procedures
Legal or compliance:
Anti-corruption policy, NRC code of conduct, Terms of Employment
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
• Experience from working as a Support Function Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Excellent mastery of French and intermediate knowledge of English
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Excellent oral and written French.
• Good knowledge of the Northern Cameroon.
• Minimum of University degree in Finance, Economics and any other related course.
2. Behavioral competencies (max 6)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
· High level of honesty, integrity and transparency.
· Ability to interact with National and International staff.
· Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet deadline.
· Communicating with impact and respect
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.